According to Andrew Taylor, all schooling was optional before 1842 because the government did not pay for such things. This resulted in school sessions being held in private homes, meeting houses or abandoned buildings but only during the winter months, when the children were not needed on the farms. In 1843 the first School Act came into effect, and this divided the townships and areas into school districts, trustees were elected, school houses were built and teachers had to be examined and licensed. The children in the Dumfries Township went to Galt, as that is where the first school was built.
The Township of North Dumfries focuses on a strong education for all children. The public and separate schools are controlled centrally by the School Boards.
|Ayr Public School JK-Grade 6|
105 Hall St., Box 1182
|North Dumfries Preschool |
18 months to 5 years
92 Northumberland Street
|Cedar Creek Public School JK-Grade 8|
55 Hilltop Drive
|Wrigley's Corners Outdoor Education Centre|
|St. Brigid Catholic School|
50 Broom St.
|Waterloo Region District School Board Public|
51 Ardelt Ave.
Automated Switchboard: 519-570-0003
North Dumfries Public School Board Trustees
Name: Andrea Mitchell
Name: Cindy Watson
Name: Colin Harrington
Waterloo Catholic District School Board
Separate Board Office
91 Moore Ave.
North Dumfries Separate School Board Trustees
Name: Judy Nairn
Name: Manuel Da Silva